Green Building Features: South Campus Athletic Facility
A May 2009 rendering of the project.
The new South Campus Athletic Facility includes a lacrosse-size athletic field atop two levels of parking, to provide over 600 parking spaces and allowing the removal of various surface parking throughout campus. Along with making the campus more pedestrian-friendly, the structure includes a variety of green building features.
- Ultra-efficient lighting fixtures
- A high-density wireless network with occupancy sensors and scheduling to control garage lighting, ensuring that lights are on only when needed and increasing garage safety (the first ever application of such technology on the West Coast!)
- Solar PV arrays above the field to power the structure and provide shade for athletic spectators
- High-efficiency plumbing fixtures
- Drought-resistant, native landscaping throughout the grounds
- Use of bioswales to naturally treat stormwater and other site water and return it to the natural aquifer
- High-efficiency irrigation equipment
- High diversion rate for construction waste
- Recycled and/or local construction materials
- Plenty of bike storage
- Priority parking for carpools
- Six charging stations for electric vehicles