Web Support Features
- Ongoing Support
— ITS is the first to say that they can offer only limited support for the
websites they host. This is because web assistance is a limited part of what
they do. For the web team in Communications, this is all that we do, so we are
able to provide a much higher level of support and web expertise. We will work
closely with you to build a site that meets your needs within the boundaries of
Pomona’s current web design and extensive feature set. We will train you (or
whoever you choose, including faculty, staff or students) to update the site
and provide ongoing assistance and additional training as needed. We will be
there to fix anything that breaks, and if you encounter a problem or want to
try something new, we will be there to provide whatever level of assistance and
guidance you may need. You will automatically benefit from upgrades in
technology and any new functional features that we add to our arsenal and
receive any additional training you may need as new capabilities are offered. For
the sake of institutional continuity, we will ask you to accept some
standardization of design, features and navigation, but in exchange, you will
never need to worry that a student’s graduation, the departure of a colleague,
a change in technology or a lack of expertise will leave you with an
unmanageable or obsolete web.
- Ease of Updating — Pomona’s web employs a powerful content management system (Cascade) that
makes updating and changing content on the web almost as simple as
word-processing. No technical knowledge is required to carry out most of the
functions of managing your web, and we will assist you in anything that does
require more knowledge. Updating is frequently done by department coordinators,
but anyone you designate can be trained to carry out these functions and given
access to the web from anywhere on or off campus. Edits are always published to
the public web within 24 hours, and usually can be published almost immediately
upon request. We also review changes to ensure that they’ve been made properly
and won’t cause unintended consequences or downtime.
- Multiple Web Tools and Reliable Features — We offer a full set of optional web tools to reliably
meet a range of functional needs on your pages. These carefully designed and
tested features include:
- A range of photo
treatments, including expandable images built into text and image sliders that
allow you to create galleries in any page, with thumbnails, autoplay, and multiple
options for transitions and display.
- Embedded video
delivery at any size, with HTML 5 support for tablets and handhelds.
- Commenting on any
page you choose, with support for all major social media log-ins or no log-in
entry with images, video and commenting. This includes a feature to deliver your
most recent blog entries automatically to your homepage.
- Support for
Facebook, Twitter, Linked-in to bring your social media accounts to any or
every page of your web. This includes a feature that can deliver your most
recent tweets to any page in your web automatically.
- Calendar sections
that deliver your coming EMS-listed events automatically to any page you
- Secure, manageable forms with exportable data, payment processing, online sign-ups and registration, and online payments processed directly by Pomona’s business office.
- A range of photo treatments, including expandable images built into text and image sliders that allow you to create galleries in any page, with thumbnails, autoplay, and multiple options for transitions and display.
- Coming Mobile Support — The redesign of Pomona’s web planned for next year will include a move to “responsive design,” meaning that your website will be optimized for appearance and function on any size device, from a laptop to an iPad to a smartphone. No extra work on your part will be needed for your information to become easily accessible on any mobile device.